As an internationally recognised qualification, this Level 5 Diploma course is ideal for those wanting to progress further in their current business career, or develop their own start-up business. The course modules are organised in such an order to allow students to develop a comprehensive understanding of key business concepts and equip them with the skills required to enhance their employment prospects; and/or further their study at undergraduate degree level. This course develops on knowledge gained through previous studies, or practical experience.
Hudson have partnered with Oxford Learning College to offer this Diploma course
Students are currently being accepted on a pre-enrolment basis. This means that students can register to start the course as soon as it begins. Materials will become available to students as they progress through the course.
- Diploma in Business Studies (Level 5)
- In addition to the Diploma, successful students will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the details of all the units the learner has completed as part of the course).
The course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards Quality Licence Scheme. The completion of this course alone does not lead to an Ofqual regulated qualification but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills towards regulated qualifications in the future.
ABC Awards is a leading national Awarding Organisation, regulated by Ofqual, and the Welsh Government. It has a long-established reputation for developing and awarding high quality vocational qualifications across a wide range of industries. As a registered charity, ABC Awards combines 180 years of expertise but also implements a responsive, flexible and innovative approach to the needs of our customers. Renowned for excellent customer service, and quality standards, ABC Awards also offers Ofqual regulated qualifications for all ages and abilities post-14; all are developed with the support of relevant stakeholders to ensure that they meet the needs and standards of employers across the UK.
The unit summary can be used as evidence towards Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this sector. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 5 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of demand/complexity involved in successful completion by the learner.
How long is the course?
This course has three elements: 1. the Diploma course; 2. Management IT skills course modules; and 3. Management Enhancement skills course modules. All three elements are separate courses, but combined into the overall course curriculum to help better prepare you for a career in Management.
All course modules are self-paced and come with differing access periods. See below for further details (the number of hours indicates the number of study hours).
- Diploma Course: 2 years access (960 hours)
- Business IT Skills Courses: 12 months access (40 hours)
- Business Enhancement Skills Courses: 6 months access (38 hours, 30 mins)
Total Study Time: 1,038 hours, 30 mins
What’s covered in this course?
Diploma Course Modules:
Unit 1: Using information, communication and technology ICT in the study of Business
1. Applications of ICT in Business Studies Applications
2. ePortfolio constructs
3. Independent web based research
4. Principles of self-assessment and reflective writing
Unit 2: Financial planning in business
1. Cost and profit
2. Break even analysis
3. Cash flow forecasting
Unit 3: Structure, risk and enterprise
2. Variance analysis
3. Trading processes
4. Organisational structure
Unit 4: Job analysis and operational management
1. Job analysis
2. Operational targets
3. Quality measurements
4. Quality systems
Unit 5: Marketing and the competitive environment
1. Principles of marketing
3. Product placement
4. Competitive processes
Unit 6: The economy and business
1. Principles of economic growth
2. The role of government
3. Technical developments
4. The role of competition
Unit 7: Understanding the layers in business administration
1. Business personnel
2. Skills requirements
4. Future roles and responsibilities
Unit 8: Leadership: developing visionary concepts
1. Visionary leadership practice
2. Root cause analysis
3. Theories of leadership
4. Models and approaches
Unit 9: Business consultancy
1. Principles of management practice
2. The acquisition of skills
3. Evolving business requirements
4. Evaluate trends
Unit 10: The project management perspective
1. Principles of project management
2. Problem solving
Unit 11: Resource management
1. Resource management
2. Data collection and analysis
4. Dissemination and reporting
Unit 12: Research and writing for business
1. Aims and objectives
2. Processes, methods and inquiry
3. Technical documentation
4. Report documentation
Unit 13: Human resource applications
1. Historical origins and development of human resource management (HRM)
2. Soft HRM
3. Hard HRM
4. European dimension
Unit 14: Employment contracts
1. Contract law
2. Forms of contract
3. Responsibilities of employers and businesses
4. Termination of contracts
Unit 15: Managing conflicts and motivation in business applications
1. The history of discrimination
2. Discrimination in the workplace
3. Industrial conflict
Unit 16: Recruitment and selection processes
3. Performance appraisal
4. Training and development
Should you require an embossed hard copy of your certificate, you can order this separately after taking your exam. The course can be enrolled upon by students Internationally. There are no deadlines for enrolments.
- Online study materials to enable the student to successfully complete the Diploma.
- Tutor support for the duration of the course (2 years).
- Certification upon completion.
- All examination fees.
- The Quality Assured Diploma is a Level 5 equivalent of the National Qualifications Framework. The Diploma is a 2 year course which is self study and is examined by online examination.
- Level 5 Diploma courses can assist you in career development, continued professional development, personal development, and provision of a basis for further study.
- This is a flexible learning course, so the more time you have to commit to your studies, the sooner you are able to complete.
- In the student ‘On Campus’ you are also able to take part in the student chat room and forums as part of our online student community.
- After enrolling online you will receive your username and password to access the On Campus area within 3 working days.
Business IT Skills Course Modules:
- Microsoft Excel 2013 (12 hours)
- Microsoft Word 2013 (12 hours)
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2013 (12 hours)
- Microsoft Outlook 2013 (8 hours)
Business Enhancement Skills Course Modules:
- Ethics in Business (3 hours)
- The balance sheet barrier: The basics of business finance (1 hour and 30 mins) *1 month access only
- Working in a Business Environment (1 hour)
- Creating business documents (6 hours)
- Working in business and administration (1 hour)
- Social Media Marketing for Dummies (2 hours and 30 mins)
- Mastering Data Analysis (Excel 2013) (1 hour) *3 months access only
- Cost Benefit Analysis (3 hours)
- Understanding Costs (4 hours)
- Organisational Culture (3 hours)
- Effective Communication (3 hours)
- Giving Effective Presentations (1 hour)
- Negotiating: tying the knot: A skill for life (1 hour and 30 mins) *1 month access only
- Analysing Information (3 hours)
- Briefing Skills (3 hours)
- Writing and Analysing Reports (1 hour)
What are the entry requirements for this course?
- All students must be 16 years of age and above.
- Level 5 Diploma courses require a minimum ‘prior learning to GCSE standard‘ in order that students can manage their studies and the assumed knowledge within course content.
How is this course taught?
The teaching features of this course are as follows:
- All courses are online and self-paced, meaning you do it in your own time;
- You will be given a username and password to log into your courses;
- The Diploma course comes with full tutor support. You will have your own personal tutor;
- The Diploma course is a text based course, using online reading materials and tests;
- The Business IT skills and Business Enhancement skills course modules are multi-media based, using audio and video in the lessons, and can be paused any time. Please note these courses are accessible after the completion of the Diploma course.
- All examinations are done online or at a testing centre. We can advise you where your nearest testing centre is.
What do I need?
You will need access to a PC and an internet connection (preferably broadband). You will also need a set of speakers to hear the lessons. If you wish to speak with your tutor online, you will need a microphone and webcam. If you have a laptop, all of these should be built in. If you are unsure about anything, please feel free to ask us.
Non-cancellation of course
Please note that this course is not covered by our standard 7 day guarantee/cancellation/refund policy.