What is the APM Project Management Qualification (PMQ)?
The Association for Project Management (APM) Project Management Qualification (SCQF Level 7) is a knowledge-based qualification. It enables you to demonstrate knowledge of all elements of project management. You’ll be able to demonstrate an understanding of how these elements interact and how your project fits into your strategic and commercial environment.
Who is this qualification for?
Although there no prerequisites to enrol on this course and take the exam, it is recommended by the APM that you have a foundation level understanding of project management. This can be generated through experience in leading projects, reading literature on project management, or taking a foundation course, such as the PRINCE2® Foundation or APM Project Fundamentals course.
All learners for this course will be required to undertake a free online project management assessment. This will confirm suitability and readiness for this course.
The APM PMQ syllabus assesses breadth of knowledge in all areas of project management and covers knowledge areas from the APM Body of Knowledge (BoK) including:
- Budgeting and cost management
- Conflict management
- Earned value management
Learn more about the APM PMQ certification
How is the exam assessed?
There are two examination routes for the qualification:
1. A three-hour paper with an additional 15 minutes reading time at the start where candidates must answer ten from sixteen questions.
2. If you are a PRINCE2® Practitioner, you will take a two-hour paper with an additional 10 minutes reading time at the start that recognises prior learning. In this paper you must answer six from ten questions.
Key Features of this course:
- APM PMQ 7th Edition
- Video based course material
- Access to up to 12 x 3 hour online revision workshops. Minimum requirement, delegates must attend 8 sessions in a 12-month period
- Course is accessible 24/7, 365 globally
- Over 40 hours of additional learning resources to help support exam preparation
- Full tutor support
- Exam simulator
- Exams can be taken at home online
- 12-months to take the exams
- Includes official APM PMQ exam fee
- Upon passing the exams, you will be fully PMQ certified by the APM
What’s included in this course?
This course includes the APM PMQ e-learning course, plus the official exam, and full tutor support. Scroll down to see what’s covered in this course.
Structure of organisations and projects
Project life cycle
Project contexts and environments
Leadership and teamwork
Planning for success
Schedule and resource management
Earned value management
Budgeting and cost management
Project risk management and issue management
Project quality management
Information management and reporting
Requirements management, change control and configuration management
By the end of this course delegates will –
- Understand how organisations and projects are structure
- Understand project life cycles
- Understand the situational context of projects
- Understand communication within project management
- Understand the principles of leadership and teamwork
- Understand planning for success
- Understand project scope management
- Understand schedule and resource optimisation
- Understand project procurement
- Understand risk and issue management in the context of project management
- Understand quality in the context of a project
Course access period: 12 months online access
Salary and job prospect information
We use two excellent third-party resources to allow you to check your earning potential and job prospects before starting this course.
The first is IT JobsWatch, which allows you to check what employers are paying people on average with specific certifications, such as the one contained in this course. Click here and enter the name of the certification you would like to see salary information on.
The second is Payscale, which also does the above, but allows you to see what types of job titles are paying more based around the certification you enquire about. Click here and enter the name of the certification you would like to see salary and job title information on.
What career paths are available to me through this course?
- Assistant Project Manager
- Senior Project Manager
- Project Team Leader
- Project Co-ordinator
- Project Management Consultant
- Workstream Lead
- Workpackage Manager
- Stage Manager
How is this course taught?
This course is online and self-paced, meaning you do it in your own home, in your own time, at your own pace and best of all… any where in the world, providing you have access to a device such as a laptop, PC or desktop computer, and an internet connection. Each lesson is pre-recorded allowing you to pause, fast-forward, skip sections, or go back to another lesson if you need to. The lessons are multi-media based, which means video and audio are used to teach the lessons. Your tutor will use PowerPoint slides, illustrations, diagrams and give demonstrations to teach the lessons. Most lessons are also interactive, prompting the learner to participate. This might involve answering on-screen questions and participating in tasks.
How long will it take me to complete this course?
As mentioned above, this course is self-paced. Some people finish their course faster than others. The total duration of the course is 32 hours, with 40 hours of additional learning resources to help support exam preparation. The APM recommends approximately 75 hours preparation time for the PMQ examination. Please note, you will have 12 months to complete your course and take your exam.
What do I need?
All you need is an internet connection and a device, such as a smart phone, tablet, laptop or PC, and an internet connection. We recommend you access it using either a laptop or desktop computer through Google Chrome.